What skills are needed to create a great advertisement? There are lots of key players in the advertising process, and no matter what one's particular role is, everyone involved needs to be aware of each element that contributes to the creation of a successful advertising piece.
Here are the 10 most important qualities an advertising team should possess:
- Ability to Communicate: Because there are so many players involved in creating an advertisement, effective communication is imperative. Advertising team members must be able to communicate openly amongst themselves, as well as with clients.
- Shows and Employs Creativity: Creative thought is an integral part of the advertising process. An entire advertising campaign is born out of the imaginations of the advertising team. Everyone involved in the development of an advertising strategy should be able to think outside the box and generate exciting ideas.
- Possesses Strong Customer/Client Service Skills: Meeting the needs of clients is the most important responsibility of an advertising team. The entire team must be aware of what the client wants and be able to communicate with them to meet expectations.
- Ability to Design: The entire look of an ad is the responsibility of the designer. A designer may develop artwork, establish a layout, and even select colors and fonts to be used.
- Able to Plan and Execute Ideas: With so many different people contributing to one advertisement, having a plan to follow is essential. A great advertising team must be able to develop and successfully execute an effective plan for fulfilling a client's advertising needs.
- Shows Problem Solving Skills: Problems undoubtedly arise during an advertisement's development and being able to quickly and efficiently address those issues is important to an advertising team. A rapid solution means being able to stick to deadlines and not lose sight of the final goal.
- Handles Project/Time Management Efficiently: Advertising is a deadline-oriented field and every member of the team must be able to effectively manage their time to meet deadlines and keep the project moving smoothly.
- Understands Sales: Members of an agency's sales team have tremendous responsibility in finding and keeping clients. They must be able to sell the agency's services and maintain continual communication with the client regarding the advertisement's development.
- Understands Various Types of Media: Advertisements can appear in many different forms, including newspapers, magazines, television, Internet, radio, and billboards. The entire advertising team should have a firm understanding of how every kind of ad works in the public eye and be able to tailor design and content to meet the needs of a particular client and successfully appeal to the target audience.
- Shows Good Writing Skills: An important member of the advertising team is a copywriter. A single copywriter or team of writers may be charged with creating copy for print, Internet, radio, and television advertisements.